Beneath the dome of St Peter’s Basilica in Rome and amid the skirl of the Scottish bagpipes, Archbishop Leo Cushley of St Andrews & Edinburgh has unveiled what is thought to be the world’s first interactive, GPS-powered, Holy Mass and Confession finder app.

 

“This is a little bit of smart technology that could make a big impact on how the Catholic Church brings the mercy of God and the joy of the Gospel to our contemporary world,” said the Archbishop, Tuesday 23 November in Rome.

 

“The Catholic App” has been developed over recent months by the Archdiocese of St Andrews & Edinburgh in conjunction with with Scottish technology company Musemantik. By simply pushing a button on their iPhone or tablet, the app user will be guided by GPS to their soonest or nearest Holy Mass or Confession.

 

“Websites are losing popularity – what is needed to engage with the mobile generation is an app that is smart and personal, an app that is like a companion, a friend that takes the initiative to inspire you – that’s the vision behind the Catholic App,” said Dr Maciej Zurawski, Founder and CEO of Musemantik.

 

The Edinburgh-based company now hopes that many other Catholic dioceses from around the world will purchase their new app with five other dioceses in Scotland already expressing a keen interest.

 

Archbishop Cushley was joined for the launch at the Vatican by Pipe Sergeant Mauro Nenci of the City of Rome Pipe Band and Monsignor Dario Viganò, Prefect of the Vatican’s newly created Secretariat for Communication.

 

“I congratulate Archbishop Cushley, the Archdiocese of St Andrews & Edinburgh and the Catholic Church in Scotland for being so imaginative in responding to the Holy Father’s call to bring the mercy of God to modern society by means of modern communications,” said Monsignor Viganò.

 

 

“That’s why I’m sure that the Church in many other parts of the world will sit up and take note of this launch today.”

 

Archbishop Cushley is currently in Rome leading a pilgrimage to mark the conclusion of the Jubilee Year of Mercy. On Sunday in St Peter’s Square, he received Pope Francis’s Apostolic Letter Misericordia et Misera from the Holy Father on behalf of the bishops of the world. The Archbishop previously worked for both Pope Benedict and Pope Francis as Head of the English Language Section of the Vatican’s Secretariat of State.

 

“How fitting, how timely to be doing this launch just 24 hours after the publication of the Holy Father’s Apostolic Letter on mercy given that this app is, for me, a key legacy project of the Year of Mercy and a way of saying thank you to Pope Francis for the Jubilee Year itself.”

 

Also present at the launch in Rome were Father Jamie Boyle, a parish priest in Falkirk, Scotland, and Lisa Maria Purdie, a primary school head teacher in Livingston, Scotland.

 

“During the Jubilee Year of Mercy there was a discernible upturn in the number of people keen to return to Confession but not sure where or when to find it,” said Father Boyle, “this app will really help people to answer both those question and I hope parish priests around the world find it useful in evangelising their local communities.”

 

“Also, people often prefer to go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation to a priest they don’t know – for example, many folk travel to our big, town centre parish to go to Confession – and, so, this app makes it much easier to find that anonymity in another parish if you so choose,” concluded Father Boyle. 

 

“Working day in and day out with young people I can see first hand how they consume information through their iPhones, iPads and tablets,” said Lisa Maria, Head Teacher of St Ninian’s Primary in Livingston.

 

“Therefore, if the Catholic Church wants to reach out to these young people, using an app like this one being launched today seems like a very smart, very sensible approach.”

 

The Catholic App will go live in early 2017. Musemantik hope that today’s high-profile – and noisy – launch in Rome will persuade other dioceses throughout the Catholic Church to purchase the app in the weeks to come.

 

ENDS

 

Peter Kearney 
Director 
Catholic Media Office 
5 St. Vincent Place 
Glasgow 
G1 2DH 
0141 221 1168
07968 122291 
pk@scmo.org 
www.scmo.org
NOTE TO EDITORS:
1. A promotional video and explainer video of The Catholic App can be viewed at thecatholicapp.com where dioceses can also express interest in learning more about the app from Musemantik.
2. An interactive mock up of The Catholic App can be viewed at https://marvelapp.com/9faa1d/screen/14611640
3. Photographs of today’s launch in Rome can be found at the Flickr account of the Scottish Catholic Media Office at https://www.flickr.com/photos/139632090@N07/albums/72157676842831256
4. For more information, contact David Kerr, Director of Communications, Archdiocese of St Andrews & Edinburgh. Tel: +44 (0)7903 621 232.
Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to:
Like   Back to Top   Seen 0 times   Liked 0 times

Subscribe to Updates

If you enjoyed this, why not subscribe to free email updates ?

I've already subscribed / don't show me this again

Recent Posts

Catholic Bishops announce resumption of communal worship

| 4 days ago | Blogging

Thursday 9 July 2020Catholic Bishops announce resumption of communal worshipScotland’s Catholic Bishops have welcomed the First Minister’s comments today (Thursday 9 July) on places of worship and have announced the resumption of communal worship in Catholic parishes from 15 July. Commenting on the move, the President of the Bishops’ Conference of Scotland, Bishop Hugh Gilbert said;“Over the past month, our parishes have been preparing for the safe resumption of communal prayer and the celebration of Mass, which is at the centre of the life of the church. To have been unable to attend Mass for many months has been a source of real sadness for Scotland’s Catholics and I am sure there will be great joy at the prospect of returning.”“Thanks to the widespread implementation of the church’s Infection Control protocols, Catholic parishes will begin the resumption of public Masses and other communal activities from 15 July.”Bishop Gilbert added;“The bishops are extremely grateful to all those who have worked tirelessly to prepare our parishes for public worship and to those who made their views known to their parliamentary representatives and the government on the subject of communal worship.While thanking the Scottish Government for listening to these calls, we would remind parishioners that the obligation to attend Sunday Mass remains suspended and ask those who return to do so in accordance with the infection control measures in force in each parish, mindful always of the need to protect themselves and others.”ENDS Peter Kearney 
Director 
Catholic Media Office 
0141 221 1168
07968 122291 
pk@scmo.org 
www.scmo.orgNote to Editors:The Infection Control Working Group’s Report can be viewed here:https://www.bcos.org.uk/Portals/0/Documents/COVID-19%20Infection%20Control%20Advice%20230620.pdf...

Bishops welcome Review Group’s Annual report

| 26th June 2020 | Blogging

Bishops welcome Review Group’s Annual report Friday 26 June 2020   The Second Annual Report of the Independent Review Group (IRG) monitoring the implementation of the recommendations of the McLellan Commission by the Catholic Church in Scotland has been welcomed by the Bishops’ Conference. The report, published on 26 June is available at: https://www.bcos.org.uk/Portals/0/Documents/IRG%20Report%20June%202020.pdf   Commenting on the publication, Bishop Joseph Toal, President of the Commission for Pastoral and Social Care said;“On behalf of the Bishops’ Conference of Scotland, I thank the IRG for their work and welcome the publication of their second annual report, which will be given careful consideration.”   Bishop Toal added;   “Safeguarding remains at the heart of the church’s mission and the maintenance of high standards is only possible through independent scrutiny of an autonomous body like the IRG that works separately from the Catholic Church.”   ENDS Peter Kearney Director Catholic Media Office 0141 221 116807968 122291 pk@scmo.org www.scmo.org      ...

Bishops appoint new Vice Rector for Scots College

| 12th June 2020 | Blogging

Bishops appoint new Vice Rector for Scots College 12 June 2020   A new Vice Rector has been announced for the Pontifical Scots College in Rome. Fr Nick Welsh (36) was chosen for the post by the Bishops’ Conference of Scotland and is expected to begin the role in September.   He is currently parish priest at Our Lady and St Andrew, covering Galashiels, Melrose and Selkirk, and Vicar Episcopal for Education for the Archdiocese of St Andrews & Edinburgh.   Commenting on the appointment, Archbishop Leo Cushley, Archbishop of St Andrews & Edinburgh said: “The Bishops thank Fr Nick for accepting this role and acknowledge the big change in having to leave his parish to move to Rome. “I am confident he will do an excellent job in forming our seminarians. It’s both challenging and rewarding and, when he returns, our diocese will greatly benefit from his experience.”   Fr Nick attended the college as a seminarian between 2007-14 and has a licence in Theology.   Reacting to his appointment, Fr Nick said: “To go back to Rome is certainly an exciting thing for me. I love being a priest and it is life-giving to be around people who want to be priests. I look forward to contributing to the formation of the seminarians and helping them become good priests. But I will also leave the Borders with a heavy heart and wish to thank all parishioners there.”   College rector Fr Daniel Fitzpatrick said: “We look forward to welcoming Fr Nick who will have a key role in the day-to-day running of the seminary and accompanying students as part of their formation. He succeeds Fr Stuart Parkes who gave us three years of service and enjoyed contributing to the life of the college. We wish him all the best on his return to the diocese of Motherwell.”   ENDS   Peter Kearney Director Catholic Media Office 0141 221 116807968 122291 pk@scmo.org www.scmo.org   Note to Editors:   An image of Fr. Nick Welsh is available to download here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/139632090@N07/albums/72157714673928877  ...

Catholic Bishops say Immigration Bill will “drastically alter opportunities” for migrants

| 09th June 2020 | Blogging

Catholic Bishops say Immigration Bill will “drastically alter opportunities” for migrants. Tuesday 9 June 2020   In a strongly worded joint statement sent to opposition party leaders at Westminster, Catholic Bishops from Scotland and England & Wales have encouraged the UK Government to consider amendments to the Immigration Bill currently before parliament.   The Bishops’ call for; a time limit on detention, together with “a significant permanent reduction in the use of detention will allow us to properly protect people’s health and human dignity”, they also propose, that the minimum income threshold for family visas should be reduced and for repeal of the offence of illegal working, since “fear of prosecution currently deters people from escaping abusive employment practices or presenting themselves to the police”.   The statement also calls for changes to the clergy visa system. Scotland’s lead Bishop for migrants and refugees, Bishop William Nolan, said; “Most Catholic dioceses previously used Tier 5 Religious Worker visas for priests to come here on essential supply placements, allowing Catholics to continue attending Mass, the new Tier 2 visas have more than doubled the costs incurred by parishes arranging supply cover.” “Furthermore, seminaries that conduct formation in English are not necessarily recognised by the Home Office as meeting the English language requirement under the Tier 2 route, meaning that many priests who have been educated to post-graduate level in English are nevertheless required to take a language test with extra logistical and cost implications.” Bishop Nolan concluded; “We strongly urge the Government to accept amendments addressing these important issues and hope that MPs from all parties will take this opportunity to help create a more just and humane immigration system.”   ENDS   Peter Kearney Director Catholic Media Office 0141 221 116807968 122291 pk@scmo.org www.scmo.org     Note to Editors:   The full text of the statement is shown below: Catholic Church statement on amendments to the Immigration Bill The Immigration Bill currently before parliament will drastically alter people’s opportunities to build their lives here and contribute to our society. The UK’s Catholic population is made up of people from across the world including a significant number of European citizens. Around 60% of Europeans living in the UK are Catholics. We therefore recognise the profound impact that ending free movement will have on so many families and communities. While we do not agree with the principle of making European citizens apply for their existing rights in the UK, the Church is working to raise awareness of the Settlement Scheme and help those who are at risk of losing their status. However, no scheme will reach all European citizens in the UK. Even if a small proportion do not make an application by the June 2021 deadline, this could leave thousands of people without legal status. We encourage amendments to the bill that will create a meaningful safety-net including options to extend the deadline. At the same time this bill and the development of new rules present a chance to make several positive changes to our immigration system: Introducing a time limit on immigration detention The UK remains the only European country without a time limit on detention. This has devastating consequences for the wellbeing of vulnerable individuals who find themselves detained including some victims of torture, survivors of trafficking and people fleeing religious persecution in their home countries. It also has a significant impact on families who are separated with no indication of when they might be reunited. The Covid-19 pandemic has highlighted serious health risks in crowded detention centres. While we are grateful for the emergency steps that were taken to reduce infection and save lives, only a significant permanent reduction in t...