Tuesday 27 November 2018
This evening (Tuesday 27 November, 6pm) the Catholic Bishops of Scotland will join members of Parliament at a special exhibition in Holyrood to mark the significant contribution of the Church to Scottish society and beyond.
The event highlights the extensive work carried out by agencies and commissions of the Bishops’ Conference of Scotland and its associated organisations.
Speaking ahead of the event, Aileen Campbell, Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Local Government who will welcome the exhibition said:
“I am delighted to be able to help celebrate the enormous contribution the Catholic Church makes to life in Scotland, and further afield. The Church has a hugely positive impact on the lives of so many people, including supporting many of our most vulnerable and disadvantaged communities, and we greatly value our relationships with the Catholic community. I am looking forward to meeting and working with the new President of the Bishop’s Conference, Bishop Gilbert, as well as representatives from the diverse range of organisations attending.”
Anthony Horan, Director of the Scottish Catholic Parliamentary Office said:
“When you talk about the Catholic Church you don’t often think of the innumerable instances of selfless charity that go unnoticed each and every day. Feeding the poor, tending to the sick and the lonely, standing up for the vulnerable and the defenceless.
“Day in day out the Church is doing this great work and is making a significant and positive contribution to Scottish society. And it’s all out of love. This event, highlighting some of that work to our parliamentarians is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the continuing influence of Christ in our society.”
Catholic Media Office
5 St. Vincent Place
0141 221 1168
Note to editors:
- You are invited to send a reporter/photographer/camera crew to the Scottish Parliament on Tuesday 27 November at 6pm.
- The relics of Saint Andrew, patron saint of Scotland, will also be welcomed to the Scottish Parliament for the evening from the National shrine of St Andrew, St Mary’s Cathedral, Edinburgh.
- Students from Holyrood Secondary School, Edinburgh will provide musical entertainment on the night.
- All of Scotland’s eight Catholic Bishops will be in attendance.
- Images will be available from the Scottish Catholic Media Office at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/139632090@N07/albums/with/72157666531058155
- A full list of exhibitors is available at: https://www.scmo.org/index.php?page=news-releases&perma=1543241700&article=church-highlights-vital-work-at-holyrood-exhibitio